DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
.11 Electrical System
To save time, the inspector should develop his own plan or sequence for checking miscellaneous electrical items, many of which can be inspected while inspecting other items.
Inspect Electrical System
- Horn shall be securely fastened, produce audible but not harsh or loud sound, and have a horn button readily accessible to the operator.
- Switches shall all function properly.
- Wiring shall be well insulated.
- Connections shall be tight and secure.
- Automatic Transmission Only. Neutral safety starting switch-Determine that starter operates with gear selector in P and N only.
- Battery-Check General Condition.
Reject Vehicle if:
- Horn is:
- Fails to function;
- Produces loud or harsh sound;
- Not equipped with horn button within arm’s reach of operator.
2. Switches fail to function.
- Insulation is bare, cracked, or broken;
- Shows evidence of burning or short–circuiting
- Is cracked or broken;
- Connections are loose or show signs of excessive corrosion.
- Is not held down securely;
- Vents are not open (if equipped);
- Is low on fluid level (if applicable).
Effective as of February 1, 2012