MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION – VEHICLE INSPECTIONS
.25 Universal Joints/Constant Velocity
- Universal joints are found in most rear wheel drive vehicles which utilize a drive shaft to propel the rear wheels. Constant velocity joints are generally found on front wheel drive vehicles.
(1) Visually inspect for attachment and worn, damaged, or loose universal joints and constant velocity joints.
Reject Vehicle If:
- Joint is not securely attached to drive shaft, transmission, or rear differential.
- There is any movement of joint between the joint, bearing cap or cross bar, or both.
- Any joint is frozen.
- Any v. joint boot is tom or otherwise damaged so that lubrication cannot be contained.
Effective as of February 1, 2012